Sunday, January 26, 2014

One Year Older, and a New Family Member

Well, I'm one year older as of yesterday...that puts me at 24. Not really an age that means anything, except I'm too old to be young but not old enough to rent a car without being charged a huge "young driver insurance fee". But there were a few good things about the weekend that really rocked, so I'm grateful.

First off...we got rid of our old fireplace insert. And let me tell you, it was u-g-l-y! Black and brass, dirty, outdated, clunky...it took 3 men heaving and pushing to get all 600lbs of it up the stairs and outside for the lucky winner that bought it.


Hey, whatever floats his boat I guess.

Second, and I won't even pretend I don't love this part...cake. Friday was Linda's Fudge Cake from Cheesecake Factory, and today I get a piece of my mom's childhood tradition for us: butter cake in a bunt pan, with chocolate icing and rainbow sprinkles. There's just something wonderful and nostalgic about that cake, the same cake mom would make for us for almost every birthday growing up. It's like a little bite of comfort in a big, complicated world.

And the third thing to be thankful about this weekend...we added to the family!! No, we're not pregnant...even better. We got a new kitty! He is a Russian Blue, 4 months old, and so stinkin' cute. We decided to name him Louie. No reason, really, it just sounded right when we looked at him and called him that.

Just look at that wittle face!
It's been interesting integrating him into the rest of the family. He is very affectionate, purring if you even so much as look at him, and doesn't mind people or other animals. In fact, him and the dog took a nap together today...













 Pardon me while I have a fit over how cute it was.


Reese, on the other hand, is a different story. If Louie gets close enough, she hisses and growls at him until he goes away. She's been sulking since we brought him home yesterday...I feel super guilty. He's supposed to be her little buddy, not her enemy. But then I remember all the blogs and websites I've read saying that that's perfectly normal at this stage in the game. We will see in a month or so if that's true or not...if anyone has tips on introducing cats, please let me know!

I'm a nervous mommy. I'll probably be worse when we actually have kids. 

But anyway, like I said, I had a wonderful birthday weekend, and have a lot to be grateful for. Life is sweet indeed :)


No comments:

Post a Comment